Opportunity to Join Sipala Labs:
Chief Technology & Innovation Officer (CTIO)
Mission: On International Day of Peace (Sept. 21, 2017), release Sipala Labs’ first video game which teaches social emotional learning and character building skills in a fun and engaging way.
Your role in this: The CTIO will be responsible for the development of our first video game minimum viable product (MVP) as well as overseeing all technical aspects of the organization and provide innovative solutions to tech-related problems. Using an active and practical approach, the CTIO will report to the CEO. In collaboration with the co-founders, s/he will support and direct the game development team to attain the organization’s strategic goals.
- In collaboration with the co-founders, develop the MVP to bring the first version of the video game to market, including development of core game mechanic(s), gamifying learning objectives and conducting testing to ensure the game is fun.
- In collaboration with the co-founders, establish the organization’s technical vision and lead all aspects of the organization’s technological development.
- Contribute to the organization’s strategic direction, development and future growth.
- As the organization grows, work in a consultative fashion with other department heads, such as marketing, and operations as an advisor of technologies that may improve their efficiency and effectiveness.
- Provide leadership to department heads in a fashion that supports the organization’s culture, mission and values.
- Conduct research and case studies on leading edge technologies and make determinations on the probability of implementation.
- Act as a good steward of the organization’s resources and ensure control of IT departmental budget.
- BS in related field OR extensive experience and knowledge in the Information Technology area, specifically in the programming, game design & development space
- Experience in project management and strategic experience
- Analytical and critical thinker who has demonstrated the ability to execute and deliver high quality work
- Excellent communication and leadership skills. Collaborative, responsive, and inclusive approach and ability to influence across physical and virtual environments.
- Ability to embrace and work in accordance to the organization’s core values
- Passion to make a positive difference in the world!
Who’s Got Your Back
Sipala Labs is a newly founded video games studio that teaches kids about conflict transformation and peacebuilding in a fun and engaging way through social-emotional learning (SEL) and character building; a key skill set that touches so many aspects of a person’s life but it is not explicitly taught to American youth. It was started by Sabrina Patrick-Urrutia (CEO) and Marianne Perez de Fransius (COO) whose superpowers range from conflict transformation and nonviolent communication to human resources management, fundraising and organizational leadership, not to mention a willingness and desire to learn whatever we need to in order to meet our goal of significantly reducing the violence that targets or is perpetrated by youth. But our fatal flaw is that we don’t have professional game design experience and we don’t want the arch-villains to keep exploiting that!
What Sipala Labs Can Offer You
- Global Workspace – Our core team is currently spread between Mozambique (Southern Africa) and the San Francisco Bay Area. We are looking for candidates who are able to work independently and willing to work across cultures and time zones.
- Virtual Tools – Since we are all virtual, we utilize cloud-based software to communicate and collaborate. Google Docs, Skype, and WhatsApp are our favorite gadgets for communicating and managing our projects. Familiarity with these tools is beneficial, but we are also happy to learn new ones and become ninjas with Slack.
- Community – As a company, we value peace, fun, and innovation. We try to reflect that in the way we work as a team. So while you might be physically far away, we communicate often and try to keep it engaging.
- Compensation – While at this time we are unable to offer monetary compensation (for anyone, including ourselves), we can offer you the opportunity to gain more experience in your current field, learn or master new skills, be part of an exciting start-up, and explore new career opportunities. Once we are profitable, (hopefully soon!) we will give priority to the current team members for paid positions.
- Flexibility – Flexibility goes both ways! Our hours are flexible, but we do request that you are available to dedicate at least 5 hours a week to Sipala Labs and are available for at least 1-status call each week.
How to Join Forces With Us
If all of this sounds exciting to you, please send us a cover letter, resume and your portfolio (ideally with at least one game you’ve created that we can play!) to Sabrina at email@example.com. For more information, check out www.sipalalabs.com.
Position open until filled.